Thursday 27 November 2014

My first day at home

Well today has been an exciting day! I'm 55 days old now so it was time to go to my forever home. This morning I said goodbye to my parents & siblings and set off home with Molly, once she'd completed all the official paperwork to become my owner. She was worried about how I'd cope with being separated from all of my brothers and sisters but because I'm quite independent I was ok. In fact I slept for most of the car journey home! I did make sure I slept right at the side of the crate though, as close to Molly as I could get. I didn't even mind when her dad put the car radio on.
 
Molly & her family have been surprised at how well behaved I've been today. I've barked a little bit & tried to nibble a few fingers & items of clothing, but that's my natural behaviour so they understood. They've been very impressed that I already know the word 'no' because my breeders taught it to me, so I haven't got into much mischief. I'm quite outgoing and confident & have barely been phased by anything today. I don't like it when I'm not the centre of attention but I'm getting used to it & tend to accept it after just a little bit of fuss as long as I know I haven't been abandoned.
 
Molly has been really good at recognising the signs that I need the toilet so I haven't had a single accident in the house. Every time I go to the toilet outside I get lots of fuss. Molly had a little try at teaching me the word 'sit' with the use of some treats but despite the treats being designed for puppies she had to break them into quarters for me, otherwise I spat them out! I got a bit overexcited when the treats appeared so we didn't get far with the training but Molly didn't mind because she knows it must all be a bit overwhelming for me at the moment. We think that's also why I've slept so much today.
The rolled up blanket next to me in the picture is one that has the scent of my parents & siblings on it. Molly has also added a second one since that photo was taken with her scent on it, and there's a ticking clock underneath my bed, so I don't feel as lonely.
 
I let Molly brush me, look at my paws, tummy & ears (& mouth but that was a bit more difficult because she wasn't sure what she was doing & didn't want to hurt me), try my harness on me (although it's a bit big for me at the moment) & even put my lead on for a few minutes which I dragged around the house - and tried to chew! I'm already used to wearing a collar but when Molly tried to put my ID tag on it kept getting in the way (partly because it's a bit big & partly because I wasn't used to it so kept trying to chew it), so she's taken it off again for the time being and might try it again tomorrow. Although I've tried chewing a few inappropriate things I haven't chewed hard enough to cause any damage & have been relatively easily distracted from it. And Molly knows that as puppies we use our mouths to explore the world.

Molly isn't sure yet what kind of toys I like best but I had a play with a few today - tuggy ones & ones I can chew.

The whole family have fallen in love with me. Molly's mum didn't want to leave me to go to work this afternoon but Molly assured her that she didn't miss much because I slept most of the time she was gone. The photos below are of me playing tug with Molly's younger brother & then kissing & playing a game with her dad.



I have also caused some amusement today with my strange ways but Molly said that I've joined quite an odd family so ought to fit in :P I'm not the most observant so when I'm distracted & walking sideways I have collided with a few bits of furniture & knees, oops! I keep getting hiccoughs which makes everyone laugh & I like chasing & trying to eat fallen leaves in the garden. I've fallen asleep in a couple of odd positions at unexpected times but Molly couldn't take any photographs on this occasion because it was too dark & I was asleep on her. She hopes to get some another time though.

Molly is a bit apprehensive about tonight but she thinks I'll be fine being on my own, she just wants to try to make sure that she gets me outside in time to go to the toilet. I hope to report back tomorrow.

P.S. I would just like to clarify that I'm a male dog because there has been a bit of confusion regarding that from some of Molly's friends & blog readers. I can understand that though because I'm just referring to myself as 'I' so gender isn't obvious. And for those who weren't aware, I'm named after Dorothy's dog, Toto, in The Wizard of Oz.

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic enjoyable read Molly....... Sorry Toto. You're certainly a clever puppy with a well educated, well read and caring owner(s) who have read and researched the best way to make the transition as easy as possible. you're a very lucky puppy to be chosen by such a great family, you'll love it with Molly and her cool �� family :-)
    Be cheeky while you still can ;-) I look forward to seeing you next time I'm up in Cambridge ;-)

    ReplyDelete